Nam Et-Phou Louey National Protected Area (NPA) is located in the north of Laos that is noticeable for the natural highlights of mountain, hill, forest, river, hot spring, and wildlife. It is home to various endangered species such as tiger, clouded leopard, guar, Asian golden cat, Sambar deer, hornbill, etc. The protected area also shelters the ethnic villagers in the buffer zone. Therefore, the visit to Nam Et-Phou Louey with Laos Tour Operator promises ecotourism and ethnic cultural experiences that people cherish.
Scientific Information about Nam Et-Phou Louey NPA
- Nam Et-Phou Louey NPA spans across three provinces of Houaphan, Luang Prabang, and Xieng Khouang, in northern Laos.
- It has an area of 5.959 square kilometers, including 3.000 square kilometers of the prohibited core area and 2.959 square kilometers of the buffer area. Note that Nam Et-Phou Louey is the largest protected area in Laos.
- The place recorded the subsistence of some ethnic villages of the Tai Dam, Tai Daeng, Tai Lue, Tai Puan, Tai Kao, Tai Yuan, Khmu, Hmong Lai, Hmong Kao, and Yao.
- The park is open for ecotourism tours that often first stop at headquarter and visitor center in Viengthong town (Houaphan Province).
Ecotourism Activities in Nam Et-Phou Louey National Protected Area Laos
The single access for guests to visit Nam Et-Phou Louey is by getting a tour organized by the area ecotourism unit. At present, the place is open for tours as follows:
First, Nam Nern Night Safari boat tour is the 24-hour overnight tour providing the new and thrill-seeking trip on a traditional long-tail boat. Activities in Nam Et-Phou Louey included in this tour are bird watching, wildlife tracking, night wildlife watching, medicinal plant discovery, and moderate trekking. This type of boat journey is award-winning with the prestigious “World Responsible Tourism Award” at World Travel Mart in London, England (2013 and 2014). It is worth experiencing!
Second, Trekking Tours The Nests (2-day or 3-day tour) is a trek designed for the family who will stay overnight in a warm spherical basket hanging from the tree. The family-friendly tours offer opportunities to watch wildlife and stay close to Nature. For instance, it’s easy to observe the rare Sambar deer in the Poung Nyied salt lick.
Third, Trekking Tours Cloud Forest Climb (4-day or 5-day tour) is a trekking trail toward the peak of the Phou Louey Mountain and through the dense forest. This option is made for the adventurous explorers who want to hike through the evergreen forest and track wildlife such as leopards, bears, white-cheeked gibbon, etc., by using camera traps. This extensive hike will never fail to thrill people with joy that they can touch primitive Nature and feel how mysterious it is in real time.
Other ideal activities are the homestay in the ecotourism villages or the visit to the giant age-old trees and hot springs. In fact, ecotourism activities in Nam Et-Phou Louey National Protected Area are organized for a direct link between tourism and conservation. In that sense, visitors’ money has a positive effect on stimulating the local people to protect the threatened species.
Cultural advice when traveling to Nam Et-Phou Louey
- Dress politely when you visit the ethnic villages. For example, men should wear shirts or T-shirts while women should cover their shoulders and knees.
- Take off your shoes when coming into a house.
- Ask for people’s permissions before you take their pictures.
- Do not buy any wildlife or wildlife products. Buying and selling wildlife is illegal in Laos.
The extensive and primitive greenness of Nam Et-Phou Louey NPA Laos will keep your eyes open and exciting to enjoy the boat trips, the hike, hot spring swimming, and more. Also, experience picnic huts in the NPA is a great idea.