There is more than one mode of transportation to get to Laos, and the service of the slow boat to Laos fit any travelers who want a peaceful voyage and opportunity to make friends. In particular, there is the leisurely slow boat to Luang Prabang Laos from Thailand. This is the common route for the backpackers, and even for families who desire the serene boat trip to Laos.
How to get Laos Slow Boat to Luang Prabang
This mode of transportation enables you to make friends in no time, plus the time to travel down the mighty Mekong River which delivers the beautiful photography and serene relaxation on board. Particularly, the post describes how to get Laos slow boat to Luang Prabang from Thailand.
- Find your way to the Thai border. There are the city buses that take you straight to the Thai border. Besides, it’s easy to use the tuk-tuk service to reach the border crossing checkpoints.
- Get out of Thailand with your eligible documents. Then, buy a shuttle bus ticket to reach the Laos immigration point.
- In the Laos immigration, it’s required to fill out the immigration papers plus a picture of yours. After that, stand in line to hand in the papers and your passport. If the paperwork is eligible, go on paying the visa fee to get into Laos.
- Take a 20-minute tuk-tuk ride to reach the Slow Boat Pier, and in the pier, buy the Laos slow boat ticket. Note that at the Laos immigration, some people will try to sell you the packages including the tuk-tuk ride to the pier and the cost for the boat trip, however, it’s not recommended to buy, because they are more expensive.
- Find a guesthouse to stay in. The first day on board will bring you to the small Pakbeng town in which you choose a guesthouse to take a rest for one night. The next day, you hop back on the slow boat and arrive in Luang Prabang. The two-day slow boat trip to Luang Prabang Laos occurs as easy as this.
Tips for Slow Boats to Laos
First, it is about your dressing. It is the open-air boat which might get hotter and hotter during the daytime, especially in August. Therefore, you need to check the temperature before deciding what to dress for the slow boats to Laos. If you want more breeze, get to the boat early to take the seat closer to the front.
Second, use the Laos Kip. You might need some cash on hand to buy things during the boat trip. Know that the boat will stop by various points, and the locals will jump on and off the boat to sell food and drinks. If you want to buy, it’s better to use the Laos Kip. And, it’s recommended to stock the food and beer because these are quite expensive on the boat.
Third, meet the others and make friends in no time. Even if you are going solo, no need to get frightened. There are many other travelers alike on the boat who are happy to make friends. Some of them are likely to grab the beer on the first night.
Fourth, get informed of the boat departure time on the second day. Knowing what time the boat leaves will ensure that you will never miss it or be the one showing up late. For instance, if the boat leaves at 9:00 AM, then it is better to be there at 8:30 AM the latest.
Upon your arrival at the pier in Luang Prabang, take a tuk-tuk to get to the city center which is 10km away. Many backpackers enjoy this relaxing voyage. If you have time, experience Laos Slow Boat.
People read also: